Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 29, 2012

Attitude of Gratitude

As I begin to prepare for my upcoming Sunday school lessons I felt led by the Holy Spirit to switch my focus and begin teaching on how we are impacting the Kingdom. My first lesson was "Impression or Impact": How are you making an impact with your life? I asked the children to think about their circle of friends and the role they play. Are they leading by example or following behind someone making worldly decisions? Do others see the light of Christ in them or do they see someone who doesn't live what they confess? We had some good dialogue and it got me to thinking about my own walk and changes I need to make.

I challenged them to start a gratitude journal for the month of November. Each day they have to write (5) things they are grateful for. Everything has to be positive and they can't list the same thing twice--no repeating entries. The goal is to develope a positive way of thinking and to focus on what they have instead of what they don't have. At the end of the month we will discuss any challenges they faced and what, if anything, they learned.

As I prepared for this lesson it got me thinking about my own kids and the values I am trying to instill in them. We give them so much and sometimes I don't think they fully appreicate or recognize the sacrifices we make for them. I've always wanted us to do some type of service as a family and I feel like this is the time. I came across alot of good ideas and I'm going to give them some things to choose from, so they can have some input and it will have some type of meaning for them. Not only do we need to learn the joy in giving to others but we need to learn to appreicate one another. I believe that we take each other for granted and it's past due for us to show appreication for one another. I pray that God will reveal to me the best opportunity for us to learn these lessons and opportunities that will give us the greatest spiritual growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment