Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Impending Empty Nest

My husband brought to my attention that in 10 years our house will be child-free. The thought brings mixed feelings. I enjoy having the boys around, they are fun and entertaining; they do offer entertainment and laughter. Since they came into this world they have accounted for the majority of my attention. My days are scheduled around them and the things I must do for them. I'm dedicated to exposing them to every available opportunity. I transport to various events and activities, cook, teach, discipline, voluneeter, advocate, heal bumps and bruises and whatever else they may need of me. I do all this without (much) compliant and little thanks. For someone who never envisioned having children I have embraced this role and allowed it to define who I am, often getting lost in the meantime.

So will I be sad? Yes! Will I miss my babies? Definately! But I will also enjoy reconnecting with my husband, exploring some of my hobbies and doing things to better me. The Bible tells us that there is a season for everything. When one season ends another begins. My next season will afford me the opportunity to grow in my relationship with my heavenly Father. I will be able to concentrate on me and what I'm doing. It's a weird feeling thinking about being a part of the "empty nest" group, I still feel so young. As hard as it's going to be to let them go I will have to take strength in knowing I have prepared them as best I can to be men of integrity, with high moral standards, who will not fall into the the traps of this world. I can't protect them from the world but I can cover them with prayer, love and the comfort in knowing our home will always be a place of refuge, support and encouragement. They are welcome home anytime, they just have to call before they come. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment